Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Calm After the Storm

Beautiful sunny skies this Saturday left everyone scratching their heads wondering how there was a hurricane just off our Jersey coast just 12 hours ago.
Hurricane Earl has come and left sparing the New Jersey Tri-State area the worst. Earl has significantly been downgraded to a Tropical Storm and is still continuing its track NNE.  Aside from periodic showers, a very tropical feel in the air, and some gusting winds, most of the New Jersey area did not feel much in wake of Earl.
I will tell you this; I braved a trip to Belmar, NJ and I sure was not disappointed! Aside from both of my cameras not cooperating and not being able to take proper pictures of the event ( I was however, able to capture some form my cell phone which will be posted shortly),  the trip was ever so exciting! We went at low tide and the waves were traveling by the shoreline fairly high up; I can only imagine how it would have been during high tide at the time Earl was the closest. The waves were crashing over the jetty at Manasquan Inlet higher then I have ever seen, the water smelled so aweful, and there was this (creepy) salt foam ( kind of like the perfect cappuccino foam that you were get a Starbucks) all over the shoreline that I swore was going to fly in my up and hit me in the face...thank goodness it didn't.
All in all, beautiful!
The aftermath of Earl were beach erosion and down trees; which was originally expected. I do believe that if the cold front that was pushing though at the time was so there, and Earl tracked a bit further West, the story would have been a lot different. We were also blessed to be on the Western side of Earl, which saved us the strongest winds and storm surge (the Eastern side of the storm would cause all of such).
Hurricane season is not over yet my friends, so we still must keep a watchful eye.

Sunny and windy skies today made for a beautiful transition from the weather we have seen over the past week or so. High temperatures in central Jersey got up to near 80, but with the cool W-NW gusting winds, it kept the air quite refreshing...however, no so much so for my fellow allergy suffers ( you all know what I mean here)!
Light winds this evening could allow for radational cooling this evening allowing temperatures in some places significantly cool, otherwise clear skies and temperatures in the mid to lower 50s.

Sunny skies with a light to moderate gradient wind in the morning, but all should die off towards the afternoon. Temperatures again will be comfortable in the upper 70s.

Enjoy this beautiful weather!

~V.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment