Tuesday, October 5, 2010

This One is for the Girls

Not only am I a weather freak, but I am also a huge health and fitness nut. A yoga session is written in on my schedule everyday, (0%) greek yogurt is my best friend, and being good to my body is one of my number one motto's. I used to run religiously everyday when I was in high school and college, mostly in part because I was on a cross country team for six years of my life. All came to a tragic end when I 'threw my back out' while running collegiate my freshman year. Extensive rehab and a whole team disgusted with me later, I dropped out of being on the cross country team, and sought proper medical attention from a spine doctor that gave me a second chance of life.
At three years ago I underwent a spinal disc replacement surgery that literally replaced a disc in my spine (at L5-S1) with an artificial disc. The entire summer after the surgery was quite a blur with pain medication (that to this day I refuse to take medication unless it is completely necessary because of this experience), passing time watching seasons of The Office, and extensive rehab. The only thing that made this experience a little better was knowing that one of my best girl friends was also going through her own struggle recovering from an ACL surgery and we were complaining and chatting with each other all during our recovery. I honestly believe I was given a second chance of life. Living life to the fullest, pain and worry free.

If my own trial and tribulation that summer was not horrible enough, one afternoon I received a phone call from my gradmother, very calmly, while holding back her tears, that she was just diagnosed with breast cancer. I can still remember my whole world just stopping the moment she mentioned the big 'C' word. Thankfully, doctors were able to catch it in time and they removed the cancer and her left breast. I was able to hobble out of the house to visit my grandmother in the hospital after her surgery.

Her strength is so inspiring.

A few months ago while giving myself a breast exam, I found a lump in my left breast.
(I can not express enough: Women NEED to feel their girls! No one knows your body better then you do!)

After agonizing few months, thinking if I could be next, and pounding my head against the wall thinking of what I could have done so wrong to have this happen to me...I eat well, exercise daily, don't drink (with the exception of occasional wine, and am so anal as to making sure to receive my eight hours of sleep a night...nothing was adding up right!

Late this summer a biopsy was performed, and after so many prayers, I received the best news anyone could ever give me: "the lump in your breast is benign." I cried, celebrated, and said a prayer, because I got lucky. I got real lucky, because I know there are so many women (and men) that are not as fortunate as I am. I do understand that this time around, God willing there are no more scares, I was so fortunate to catch it early. I do need to be monitored for any occurrences in the future.

I was reading through my fabulous Womens Health Magazine aka: my bible, and a page about breast cancer news was screaming for me share:

89% of women diagnosed with breast cancer who, with treatment, are able to fight off the disease for five years.

A third of breast cancer can be avoided through regular exercise and a better diet...a little more walking and no more of the ventis and 'super-size-me's'.

A new blood test may be able to detect early markers of breast cancer up to 17 months earlier than conventional exams.

1 in 8 women in the U.S. will develop breast cancer over the course of  her lifetime

In 2010 alone, an estimated 201,090 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in the U.S...this is too many women.

I raise my glass to all the fabulous and strong women who are struggling this fight every day.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tori- awesome post girl. I do agree that you helped me more than anyone get through that summer after surgery. You're so strong chica, I love you!! And we are talking soon. This weekend perhaps? -Mel

    ReplyDelete